Thursday, February 11, 2016

Comic: Monstress, story by Marjorie Liu | art by Sana Takeda

Rating: 5/5

Publisher: Image Comics 

Categorization: Mature, Fantasy, Supernatural, War Story

Series: On going



In the comic Monstress the steampunk-esq world is divided after a terrible war.  The realm of the humans and the realm of the 'monsters' are separated, except for those few poor monster souls unlucky enough to find themselves on the human side of the wall.



Beings from both sides are sure to stick to their own.  Well, at least most do.  Our main protagonist, a female 'monster' named Maika, purposefully puts herself in danger.  She is sold into slavery and ends up at precisely the location she needs to be to get answers.


Something happened during the war.  What exactly happened is not clear, but there are multiple characters interested in figuring it out.  

Maika is an interesting main character.  Despite being a monster, she looks rather human-like, which I can only assume will get her both into and out of trouble in whats to come from this series. She also is plagued by a dark entity and she does not like what it has done to her.



What sets this comic apart for me from all the others is the art.  Don't get me wrong, the story is great, but the art is on a level all its own.  This is not a world which any reader would sanely agree to visit, yet, the artist was able to make it look both beautiful and threatening.

Everything is slightly creepy.  There is some gore, violence, and some odious characters, yet strangely, as a whole its quite beautiful.



The detail in this comic is AMAZING!  I knew I wanted to read it the moment I opened it in the shop.  Luckily, I was able to grab the first three volumes at once because I read them in one sitting.  I needed to know what would happen next.  The air of mystery that surrounds the main plot, combined with the supernatural elements really hooked me.  And now i eagerly await issue #4.