Wednesday, August 3, 2016

T5W: Books I Feel Differently About Over Time

click here for more top five wednesday posts

T5W is a Goodreads group with over 5,000 members. They create topical blog prompts for each Wednesday of the month. https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday

August 3rd Topic Description:
Talk about the books that you feel differently about after you've had time to think about them or re-read them.  These are books that you gave a low rating, and then thought about it or re-read it and ended up loving.  Or a book that you loved when you first read it, but after you've thought about it or you've gotten older, you see how many problems it had. 



Number 5


The Darkest Powers Trilogy 
By Kelly Armstrong 

Image Source | Pintrest 

When I was in my first year of college I also got back into reading YA.  At that time I read a whole bunch of titles which I used to pluck off the shelves of my local library every week.  It was fun at the time, however, most of what I read was largely forgettable.

When I read The Darkest Powers trilogy I gave all three books a 3 out of 5 stars.  It was a pretty typical YA Urban Fantasy with teens who have supernatural abilities and a secret organization who is hunting them.  The novels were not great, but they were not terrible either.  The series was interesting enough that I did not abandon it half way.  

However, now--six years later, this is the series which I remember the most.  Out of everything I read that year, and I read Hunger Games that year... this is the one I could still talk about.

While I am not feeling the desire to re-read this series, I am rather curious to figure out why this one stuck with me.


Number 4


Runaways, Vol 1 (Marvel Comics) 
By Brian K Vaughan

  Chris lent me his copy of Runaways Volume 1 because he was convinced that I would love it.  I was less than stellar to start it.  The art in the Runaways series, especially early on, is not a style which has much appeal to me.  Also, this series is FULL of cheesy jokes and pop-culture references.  <-- That always makes me cringe.
Image Source | marvel.wikia.com 

However, I read it.  I acclimated to the art style.  I did my best to not convulse (and involuntarily throw the book) at every cringe worthy line.  And in the end, Chris was right.  I did enjoy it.

Once I got past all my initial hangups, the plot was one which I vibed with.  The characters formed a likable little group which I became invested in.  And then that twist at the end--loved it!  


Number 3


Kedamono Kareshi 
By Saki Aikawa

Picture Source | Myanimelist.net

When I decided to read the manga Kedamono Kareshi, it was because I was in a bookstore in France, and the French title was "He's a Beast" and the cover was quite sexy.  
 
Funny enough, all of that was a total cover lie. This story is actually a pretty innocent and slightly angsty love story about two recent step-siblings, who in the past did not get along because he was mean to her in elementary school.

At first I was disappointed that my assumptions about the story were incorrect (I thought I was getting a less goofy version of Maid Sama). And then I was super annoyed by what a jerk the main guy was and how apologetic the girl was.

And yet, I kept reading, and then suddenly there was major character development and everything started to fall into place. Now I can't wait to continue the series, but must await more English releases.

 http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/serie/He-is-a-beast



Number 2


Outlander
By Diana Gabaldon


I am using the STARZ TV show cover of this novel for a very specific reason. I have seen Outlander on numerous lists of the best books to read for as long as I can remember, but I never had any interest in reading it--until I saw the trailer for the STARZ rendition of it

Suddenly, Jaime was an extremely handsome man, and the beautiful landscape of Scotland was alive, and the music was enchanting.

I read the entire 900 page book in two days and loved every minute of it.

Then some time passed, the new season came and went, and I still feel no desire to continue the series, whether in book or film.

 http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/outlander/


Number 1


Harry Potter
By JK Rowling 


Sirius, Remus, & Dumbledore

When I was younger I felt that the relationships which Harry had with each of these adults were cool because it proved that some adults were willing to treat you as an equal.  I thought that these adults allowed Harry to go into dangerous situations because they relied on him.  That they knew they had to stop the return of Voldemort and could not possibly do it on their own...thus Harry helped.

However, as an adult, I think these men were actually acting selfishly most of the time, and had quite a few issues of their own.  Both of which knocks their cool points way down.

Severus

Hogwarts Class Doodles by ragweed
http://ragweed.deviantart.com/art/hogwarts-class-doodles-282251736

When I was younger I thought that the revelations about Snape revealed in the seventh book vindicated his character.  However, now I find myself hung up on the fact that he was a total jerk to a child for most of the book

The Time Turner

Everyone recognizes the problem with the Time Turner.  Even as a child I remembered finishing the third book and wondering when they would go back in time to save Harry's Parents.

I was able to ignore how huge of a continuity issue this was for many years, but really, there are so many easy solutions that could have been used here.  The simplest one, of course, would have been for the Time Turner to break at the end of the third book.

HP: Dumbledore Says by In-The-Machine 




Post header graphic made using canva. id - MABwgXshnXw


Thanks for reading!
Amanda