Wednesday, November 16, 2016

T5W: Favorite Publishers

click here for more top five wednesday posts 

T5W is a Goodreads Group with over 5,000 members.  They create topical blog prompts for every Wednesday of the month.  Check it out here

November 16th 2016 Topic:
I thought this topic would be a cool way to examine what we read and what publishers put out our favorite books.  I encourage you to take a look at your shelf and figure out which books come from which publishers.  I think you'd be surprised how many probably end up coming from the same publishing house.

Number 5

Tor
Science Fiction. Fantasy. The Universe. And Related Subjects. 


Tor is one of those publishing houses that is always mentioned by its authors.  In their interviews they will often mention it fondly.  This company publishes some authors who are currently very popular, such as Brandon Sanderson, John Scalzi,  V.E. Schwab, and Steven Erikson.  But they also published Phillip K. Dick and Robert Jordan.  

Terry Goodkind's popularity seems to waver, but his Sword of Truth Series is one of my favorite stories.

I do not read fantasy as often as I would like, because I'm a slow reader whose low on time, but when I am looking for a potential new series, I check what Tor has out first because I trust their judgement on fantasy.

Tor is currently an imprint of Macmillian. 

Number 4

Bear & Company 
Books for the Mind, Body & Spirit since 1975 


Many of the nonfiction authors I enjoy reading publish with Bear & Company.  I started reading nonfiction regularly in my second year of college.  I love reading on topics in the realm of alternative history and metaphysics.  

One night I was sitting at my desk, in my childhood bedroom, and I noticed that of the spines lined up in front of me, most titles were published by Bear&Co.  After that, I googled the company website and found even more new authors to try out.

The quality of these books are always really nice.

Bear&Co has a sister imprint called Inner Traditions.

Number 3

Llewellyn Worldwide
New Worlds of Body, Mind & Spirit


I could not describe this company better than they describe them-self on their website:

As the world's oldest and largest independent publisher of books for body, mind, and spirit, Llewellyn is dedicated to bringing our readers the very best in metaphysical books and resources.  Since 1901, we've been at the forefront of holistic and metaphysical publishing and thought.

Llewellyn publishes books and tools on a wide array of subjects from ancient traditions to other dimensions.  But their particular spin on these subjects always aims for self-help, and practical mastery, rather than simply being sensational. 

Here in 2016 they even publish smartphone apps, so I think it is safe to say they are here to stay.

Number 2

Boom! Studios
Four Distinct Imprints: Boom! Studios, Boom Box, KaBoom!, & Archaia


I have favorite comics in all four of the Boom! Studio imprints.  Each time I complete another series published by this company I become more certain that they really care about, and put a lot of effort into, the stories in their comics.  Most series are limited in their run so you will not often get an issue which is full of boring filler.  

This company publishes comics in many different genres, but there is often a fantastic element in everything they publish.  Even in the more grim dark titles.  I especially enjoy checking out the "artsy-ish" titles that Archaia puts out, such as Toil and Trouble about the Witches from Macbeth.

If you are not into super hero comics this is a publisher worth checking out.  The single issues published by Boom! are high quality.  And their releases stick to a reliable schedule. 

Number 1

Margaret
A Japanese Publisher of Manga

 

This year I made the discovery that I love the manga which Margaret publishes.  Margaret is a Japanese publisher of Japanese manga...in Japanese.  Which I do not read.  Unfortunately, it can be a very long wait to see if a great Japanese manga will be brought to us here and translated into English.

But there are ways around this!

Some of these titles have already been made into anime which can be watched with English subtitles.

Personally, if I can get my hands on English fanmade scanlations I will read those.  As always, when doing this, I try to support the original work by purchasing some of the Japanese volumes for my bookshelf.  Some Mangakas have voiced their displeasure of scanlations existing, however, I think it is important to remember that they are widening the reach of these stories beyond the limitations set by the languages they are currently available in.  

Two of my all time favorite manga are still not available in English.  And there's a good change that one of them never will be. 

To see the long list of stories Margaret has published click here. I bet you will recognize some of them.

My entire manga TBR is currently made up of Margaret titles.

Blog post header graphic made on canva id - MABwqS3NTQk


Thanks for reading!
Amanda