Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Anime Season Preview: Top Five Releases for Winter 2017

click here for more anime posts

There are only five new releases that I am excited to check out during the Winter 2017 Anime Season.  And while that is a rather short list, I am feeling slightly relived.  At present, I have a list of 8 shows that I missed out on during the past few seasons that are only now getting lot's of positive reviews and support.

So my anime watching plan for winter 2017 is to binge watch the shows I missed during the days between each new episode's release.

Top 5 Anime Releases for Winter 2017


5. Urara Meirochou

 
Premiere: Jan 6, 2017
Studio: J.C. Staff
Genre:  Slice of life, Comedy

I am drawn to this anime because of the art style. Both the characters and what little I could find of the scenery looks adorable.  The characters remind me of New Game! While the background is making me think of the underworld in The Morose Mononokean.  Two shows I enjoyed in Summer 2016.

The synopsis, four girls are apprentice fortune tellers in 'Labyrinth Town', is short and not very descriptive.  But it sounds to me like it has the potential to be a cute, feelgood show, in a whimsical setting. Enjoyment of this show will probably depend heavily on the personalities of the characters.


4. Masamune-kun no Revenge

 
Premiere: Jan 5, 2017
Studio: Silver Link.
Genre: School, Romance, Comedy, Harem

I am afraid to get my hopes up for this show, but truthfully they might already be all the way up.  It will tell the story of a male protagonist who has completely changed up his image, and plans to seek revenge on the girl who used to torment him for being chubby.  I'm rather certain things will not go as he plans.  

Because the main male sounds like he's the type to take initiative and the female tormentor is a very wealthy girl, I'm wondering if it will be anything like Toradora? 

Because the promotional art seems to depict a harem I am wondering if there will be a large cast of friends and make the show feel anything like Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches.


3. Seiren

Premiere: January 6, 2017
Studio: Studio Gokumi, AXsiZ
Genre: School, Dating Sim

This is another anime with very little available information, but it sounds wonderfully simplistic.  The main protagonist is a high school male with little plan for his future.  He is average and quiet in all other ways.  He sounds very lost.  

In come a harem of girls to save the day.  Maybe.  But each girl introduced to the story will change up his world in some way.  I enjoy personal relationships between characters, so this synopsis is appealing to me, rather than sounding boring.

The lines and colors in this show look clean and the detail looks fresh.  I have seen it mentioned that this show is a sequel to Amagami SS (2010), with different characters.  I've not seen Amagami SS, but because the art in Seiren appeals to me more, I will start with this show.  If I end up loving it, I'll probably go back and watch the first installment. 


2. Kuzu no Honkai

 
Premiere: January 13, 2017
Studio: Lerche
Genre: Drama, Romace, School

The plot of this anime is that two teenagers appear to be the perfect high school couple with the perfect lives, but secretly, they are each in love with another.  Another person that is painfully far out of reach for them.  In each other, these two manage to ease some of their loneliness.

I am slightly concerned about where the actual plot of this show will go.  People can do extremely irrational things when gripped by infatuation for another.  I am hoping this anime will not tell that type of story, because that would be too dramatic for my current tastes.  I might be worried for nothing, but at this time it has a mature rating for violence, and that art from the trailer is reminding me of Pretty Little Liars.   


1. Little Witch Academia

Premiere: January 9, 2017
Studio: Trigger
Genre: Magic, Comedy, School

I watched both Little Witch Academia movies on Netflix without realizing that they were anime.  Both were enjoyable, but ultimately, told extremely short stories.  So when I found out that a full season of Little Witch Academia was finally coming out I was instantly excited.  

Personally, I do not expect anything profound from this anime.  Nor am I the biggest fan of the art style.  But I am a sucker for magical schools, and for silly young students going on adventures to save the day.  I'm feeling pretty optimistic that this show will be able to deliver on that.


Honorable Mention 


Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2

 
Premiere: January 12, 2017
Studio: Studio Deen
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy 

Konosuba is getting a second season during Winter 2017 & because season one is very high on my list of anime to catch up on, it is likely that I will be watching this second season as well.

In this anime an Otaku dies on his way home from buying a video game and gets the chance to reanimate into a fantasy world.  Apparently, this show was great, and I missed it.  But I am excited to watch it now because at this particular moment I am feeling really nostalgic for some good old fantasy RPG.  

If this story takes us on a quest through all the typical places, the dungeon boss, the village market, the tavern, the mountains, ect. but then tosses in characters with atypical personalities, I think I will be more than pleased with it. 


All anime images taken from Google Images 
Blog header graphic made on Canva: MABzf_w5Z_w

What are you watching this Winter?  I'm feeling like there are good shows out there that I could have missed.

Thanks for reading!
Amanda